Wednesday, December 19, 2007

pants on fire

Add Isaac to the list of lying kleptos.

Tonight was store night at AWANAS where the kids spend their shares that they earned throughout the year. My darling boychik tried to spend a stack of shares that weren't his. The other kid's mom put the kid's name on the shares which was the only reason Isaac was caught out.

Anyway, Isaac's teacher asked Isaac if he thought that was stealing. "No." He didn't spend the other boy's shares. Teacher told me this when I picked up Isaac.

I told Isaac when we got home that his teacher told me what had happened and if there was anything he wanted to tell me.

"No"

"I don't think it was very nice what you did."
"But I was just holding them for him."
"Your teacher said you were trying to spend them. That doesn't sound like you were just holding them."
". . ."
"Isaac how would you feel if someone took your shares?"
". . ."
"Don't you think you would be sad if you lost your shares that you worked so hard for and someone was spending them for himself?"
"No."

abort abort!

The teacher said that this is the age where this sort of thing happens and they are trying to test boundaries.

On the one hand I can kinda see where Isaac was coming from - "Woo-wee lookee! I found some shares!" I remember going to a waterpark when I was a young teen with 2 neighbor friends and I found a $100 bill on the walkway toward the entrance. Hot dog I was in heaven! And the thought NEVER crossed my mind to ask if anyone lost some money. And yeah we spent the money.

And you could see that wall come up when I started talking. He knew he made a poor choice but it looked like he was trying to protect himself. He has a performance = love mentality going. I hate that.

I really wanted to say, "Okay, well, I'll take the rest of your shares and give them away since you don't care about them. neener neener" Instead I told him I loved him.

If he is true to form then he will bring this up again in acouple of days, we'll talk about it and hopefully a lesson will be learned. :cross fingers: that it's not, "Don't be so stupid to claim someone elses stuff as my own when THEIR NAME is written on there! Be more devious!!"

No comments: